The Meditative Arts
Meditation can be a powerful part of your emotional toolkit. It’s not complicated, but it does take some practice. To do it, bring all your attention to one thing, like a word, a prayer or your breath, without judgment. There are many ways you can meditate. If you’d like to get started, try this:
1. Relax your body.
2. Slowly breathe in allowing your belly to rise. Notice your breath.
3. Slowly exhale allowing your belly to deflate, still noticing your breath.
4. When your mind wanders from your breath to other thoughts, silently say, “A thought,” and return to noticing the sensations of your breathing.
5. Do not try to stop your thinking. It will just make you tense and frustrated. This is the biggest mistake people make when they start meditating. Instead, just notice your thought and choose to go back to your breath.
6. Do this for five minutes every day.